Spain student visa
If you're considering studying in Spain, this article provides all the essential information.
What is a student visa?
A student visa is a residence permit that allows citizens of non-European Union countries to stay in Spain for the purpose of studying, participating in student exchange programs, internships without work rights, scientific research, and volunteer programs.
To be more exact, all those who wish to enroll in any professional training course, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree in Spain, as well as admission to general education schools, business schools, or language schools, must apply for a student visa.
It is crucial to understand that this visa is exclusively for non-EU citizens. Educational stay is only a residency permit for the duration of your course. It does not grant ordinary residency. The period spent on a student visa does not count toward Spanish citizenship.
Типы студенческих виз
Depending on the duration of your studies, there are two different types of student visas:
  • A short-term student visa implies studying for more than 90 up to 180 days.
  • A long-term student visa is required if the duration of studies exceeds 180 days.
The duration of a student visa depends on the length of your study program. If you are coming for short courses of up to 90 days, your tourist visa is sufficient (if your country has no visa waiver agreement with Spain). If the study period is less than 6 months, a visa for that duration will be affixed to your passport. However, if the education extends beyond this period, a visa for only three months will be placed in your passport. Upon arrival in Spain, you will need to request a foreigner identity card, which will be your main document in Spain. The card can be renewed annually based on ongoing studies without returning to your home country.
Is it difficult to obtain a student visa?
No, if you are aware of the document package you should compile and the requirements you must fulfill. It is always advisable to seek guidance from an immigration law specialist to ensure the proper application for a student visa and thereby prevent potential refusals and delays.
It is crucial to understand all the requirements that any foreigner must meet to obtain a student visa. Otherwise, obtaining this permit will be impossible:
  • You cannot be a citizen of the European Union.
  • You must have legal status in Spain, and entry into the country must not be prohibited.
  • You must have sufficient financial means.
  • You must have private or public health insurance with full coverage in Spain.
  • You must be enrolled in the course or program where you plan to study and have all supporting documents from the educational institution.
  • You must not have any criminal convictions
A request for a permit after the latest change in Spanish immigration legislation can be submitted both from your country of origin (at the Spanish Consulate) and directly while in Spain on a tourist visa or in a visa-free regime within a strictly defined period. In Spain, your documents can be submitted directly by a lawyer.
Frequently Asked Questions:
  • How long does the decision-making process take?
    The processing period for student residence permit applications is one month. It's important to consider that the processing time is currently extended due to a high volume of applications from recently arrived students.

  • Is it possible to work in Spain while being in student status?
    Yes, you can explore the following options for this:
    • Completing an internship. In this case, you will need a signed agreement between the educational institution and the employer.
    • Requesting an official work permit from your employer.
    Students can start working automatically, without special permission, in the following cases:
    • While obtaining higher education.
    • During regulated employment-related training or certification.
    • When undergoing training leading to the issuance of a technical or professional qualification required for a specific profession.
    Student employment hours cannot exceed 30 hours per week. In other cases, the employer must request a work permit for the student.
  • How long does it take to change the status from a student permit to a residence permit?
    After successfully completing studies or an internship, it is possible to modify a student visa to residency and obtain the right to work. To qualify, you must meet the following criteria:
    • Not to be prohibited from entering Spanish territory and not to be listed among individuals denied entry to countries with which Spain has signed agreements to that effect.
    • Have no criminal record in Spain and in the countries of the applicant's previous residence for the last five years for offenses committed according to Spanish law.
    • Enter into a preliminary contract, signed by both parties, guaranteeing the employee continuous activity throughout the validity of the residency.
    • Possess professional training and, in relevant cases, the professional qualification required by law to hold a specific position.
  • Can family members be added to the student visa?
    Yes, but only from the country of origin. The validity of their residence permit will be linked to the duration of your student permit. It is important to note that inclusion is not possible when applying for a student permit within Spain.
  • What financial funds must be at our disposal to apply for a student visa?
    100% IPREM per student.
    IPREM is a public income indicator (similar to our concept of the minimum living wage), which this year is 600 euros per month.
Anytime you need legal assistance, you can contact me. This will assist in avoiding mistakes in document collection and the application process.